This gown was loosely based on the Elizabethan fashion.
This project is one of those that came out of nowhere; I just saw that fabric and *knew* I had to make something out of it!
The red fabric was 100%Polyester with a really soft velvet texture, except for the overlaid golden damask pattern, and the ivory fabric was 100%Cotton, since it was the one that'd be closer to the skin, and I wanted the dress to be comfortable.
First I did some research on historical garments, even though I already had an idea on how I wanted it to be, and finally came up with this design.
The outfit is composed of 5 pieces: a chemise, a farthingale, the white skirt, the red skirt and the bodice.
(It was supposed to have a bum roll as well, but since the cousin I made it for already had one, I didn't make it.)
The chemise has a square neckline so it'll remain hidden under the bodice, with balloon sleeves and ruched cuffs with white lace.
The farthingale and both skirts tie at the waist so the person can adjust freely; I first thought about buttoning it, but since I wasnít sure of her waist measurements I opted for that solution.
The bodice has whalebone channels both at the front and back to maintain its smooth, flat shape, with long open hanging sleeves topped with pauldrons and itís laced at the back (which although historically correct, ought to be quite troublesome) with a stranded cord in red and gold to match the dress.
Itís still missing the standing ruff and its support, I know. Iíll get to it soon, hopefully, depending on the fabrics I find for it.
I made this for my cousin because sheís a living statue performer, and Iím sure she can make use of it.
I also thought it was amusing when I took the bodice to apply the grommets and the man asked if it was for some sort of historical play.
Anyway, Iím pretty happy with how it turned out. Maybe Iíll make another version of it for myself later.